Ghee is anhydrous milk fat that is considered as an auspicious dairy product. In India, it is used in various religious rituals and diet as well. Ghee is considered as the healthy form of fat for the body. Fats are the building blocks of the lipids. Lipid is an essential element that stores energy. Ghee maintains the flexibility of the cell membranes. It also facilitates transmission of the nutrients. Another major benefit is that it is lactose-free.
Ayurveda describes Ghee as:
“घृतं पित्तानिलहरं रसशुक्र औजसां हितम् |
निर्वापणं मृदुकरं स्वरवर्णप्रसादनम् | |” (Charak Samhita)
- Ghee balances pitta and vata dosha
- Improves the quality of sperm
- Good for ojas (immunity)
- Cooling effect
- Improves voice
- Enhances complexion
Best time of the year to consume ghee:
“सर्पि: शरदि पातव्यं”
What to drink after having ghee?
- Hot water
Here are the top health benefits of ghee:
Ghee, due to its moisturizing effects has good results on skin. As per Ayurveda ghee has been used for various skin conditions since ages.
- Gently massage your face with homemade cow’s ghee two times a day.
- Keep it for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply “shatadhauta ghrita” on the burnt area.
- It is easily available in any Ayurvedic medical shop.
- Apply little ghee on the lips whenever they get dry.
- Take a little amount of ghee and apply it in the navel at bedtime.
Mostly, during the seasonal change, some people suffer from cough. It can be dry or along with the expectorant. Here, is a herbal preparation that especially treats a dry cough.
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Guduchi powder – 250 mg
- Mix them together and consume twice a day with hot water.
Ghee is not only consumed internally but it also has amazing benefits when used externally. It is beneficial for various hair damage conditions like split ends, dry and rough hairs, and hair fall.
- Ghee – half cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 10 gm
- Sesame seeds – 10 gm
How to use?
- Heat all these ingredients together.
- Massage the scalp with it at night.
- Wash your hairs with mild shampoo in the morning.
- Repeat it three times a week.
When vata vitiates inside our body it leads to improper elimination. Sometimes an individual passes hard stool and other times they do not pass any stool at all. To beat this, Ayurveda has an age-old tested remedy. To regulate the bowel movements, consume ghee in the following ways. But, follow these only if your appetite is good.
- Consume 1 to 2 tsp of ghee with hot water early morning empty stomach.
- Consume 2-3 tbsp of ghee with 200 ml of warm milk at bedtime.
As per Ayurveda ghee is well known Medhya rasayana. Medhya rasayana means the one that boosts memory. It not only boosts memory but also helps to increase learning and recalling power. For this purpose, Ayurvedic doctors also prescribe medicated ghee named “Brahmi ghrita.”
Ghee is best known for its cleansing properties in Ayurveda. It has the properties to loosen minute channels inside our body. After loosening it liquifies the toxins accumulated there. With this, toxins reach from the deeper tissues to the gastrointestinal tract. From there, toxins get eliminated along with the defecation.
It is recommended to use ghee with each meal depending upon your agni (digestive fire). Approximately you can consume 1-2 tablespoon of ghee with each meal.
There can be various reasons behind headaches like neck pain, weak eyesight, acidity, constipation, or migraine. Regular use of ghee can reduce recurrent headaches.
How to use it?
- Heat the ghee (lukewarm) with the double boiling method.
- Pour it in a dropper.
- Lie down at the edge of the bed keeping the head backward.
- Massage nose and forehead gently with warm oil or ghee.
- Put 1-2 drops in nasal cavity keeping the other closed.
- Then, repeat the same for the other side.
- Relax for a while and then continue with your work.
Click on the photographs below to buy these products from Amazon.