Diabetes is a metabolic disorder. It occurs when glucose increases excessively inside the bloodstream. Insulin, a hormone produced by the pancreas, makes it possible to get glucose into the cells. Once glucose enters the body cells it is used as energy. When the pancreas does not produces sufficient insulin or body becomes insulin resistant, glucose starts increasing in the blood.
The main causes are:
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Environmental factors
Basically, it is of three main types Type 1, Type 2, and gestational diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes is a condition when the pancreas produces less or no insulin. It happens when the body’s own immune cells start attacking beta cells of the pancreas. This hampers the normal functioning of the pancreas. Hence, pancreas starts producing less or no insulin.
- Type 2 diabetes happens when the pancreas is either not producing enough insulin or when the body fails to respond to insulin.
- Gestational diabetes is a temporary condition of raised blood sugar levels during pregnancy.
There are various medications available in the market to deal with diabetes. But, there is no harm in adding this simple drink in your routine. Amla turmeric drink is an age-old remedy that prevents and manages diabetes.
Amla Turmeric Drink
It is best to use in prediabetes and diabetes. It is also helpful for the ones with the family history of diabetes.
Amla (Indian gooseberry)
- Botanical Name – Emblica officinalis
- Amla prevents the high glucose spike after meals.
- It also protects the pancreas from damage.
Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
- Botanical Name – Curcuma longa
- Curcumin present in turmeric manages the insulin resistance.
- Hence, it helps to manage diabetes.
How does it help?
- Drinking amla turmeric drink every day helps to reduce high blood sugar levels.
- It also prevents the complications of diabetes.
- Rich in antioxidants
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- Antihyperglycemic (lowers glucose levels)
How to take it?
Concentrated amla juice – 15 ml
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Mix them well.
- Add 200 ml of water to it.
- Drink it empty stomach in the morning and one hour before the dinner.
- The one who is suffering from diabetes for a long time can drink it twice a day.
- An individual diagnosed with prediabetes can also drink it twice a day.
- A person who is having a family history of diabetes can drink it once a day.