Foot massage is an extremely relaxing therapy that can be done every day at home. In Ayurveda, it is termed as “Pada Abhyanga.”
Each foot is the center of a large number of nerves. On massaging feet, these nerves get stimulated and relax the body. As a result, you get a sound sleep.
Easy steps of foot massage
Firstly, wash both feet with water. Then apply warm oil on the fingers of the foot and move towards the ankle. Apply the right amount of pressure with your fingers. Move the fingers up and down repeatedly so that oil may get absorbed. After this, apply oil (firm pressure) with fingers on the feet’ arches. Lastly, massage all the fingers of the feet one by one and let the oil get absorbed.
“खरत्वं स्तब्धता रौक्ष्यं सुपतिश्च पादयोः | सद्य एवोपशाम्यन्ति पादभ्यंगनिषेवणात || “
-Charak Samhita (ancient Ayurvedic text).
This shloka is about the benefits of feet massage as per Ayurveda. They are said-below:
- Massaging feet reduces roughness.
- It reduces stiffness, dryness, fatigue, and numbness in the legs.
- Massaging feet is also responsible for good quality of sleep.
- It improves blood circulation.
- Foot massage also fights anxiety and depression.
- It reestablishes the body’s tranquility back.