What is acidity?
- Acidity is a regurgitation of the undigested food particles back towards the mouth.
- Sometimes it is also associated with a burning sensation in the chest region.
- Normally gastric glands in our stomach secrete hydrochloric acid to break down the food.
- It becomes a hitch when it is secreted in excess or when you skip a meal. Due to this, acid from the stomach starts coming up.
- According to Ayurveda, it happens due to the imbalance of Pitta dosha (heat energy of the body).
What are the causes of acidity?
- Eating spicy food.
- Irregularity in eating meals.
- Eating sour taste food substances in excess.
- Eating more heavy and oily food like deep-fried items.
- Taking excessive hot potency food items like ginger, garlic, and peanuts.
What are the symptoms of acidity?
- Burning in throat
What are the home remedies of acidity?
- Occasional acidity can be cured with following Ayurvedic home remedies.
- Follow at-least any two or three of them for one week.
Buttermilk with Hing (Assafoetida)
- Buttermilk is a simple remedy for acidity.
- Drink one or two glasses a day for the week.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida (hing) to it.
- Coconut water is one of the best and amazing cures for many conditions related to Pitta imbalance.
- It is a very hydrating and cooling drink which helps to calm down your Pitta (heat energy of the body).
- Drink a minimum of two glasses of coconut water every day for one week.
Fresh aloe vera gel
- It may not look tasty to drink but if you want to get rid of acidity it will help you the most.
- Aloe vera gel heals the inflammation in the mucous lining of the stomach which may be the reason behind burning sensation.
- Take fresh two tablespoons of aloe vera gel along with the water early morning empty stomach.
- Drink it for minimum one month continuously to get relief from prolonged acidity.
Amla Juice (Indian Gooseberry juice)
- Amla juice is considered as best rejuvenating fruit in Ayurveda.
- It is a huge source of antioxidants and helps to combat acidity due to its cooling effect.
- Drink one glass of amla juice daily empty stomach.
- You can also add it with aloe vera pulp.
Basil (Tulsi) and Fennel (Saunf) decoction
- Basil is all in one aromatic herb which cures many of the body ailments.
- It is best to cure acidity due to its soothing property.
- Fennel, on the other hand, is a panacea herb for all the digestive ailments.
- It cures digestive ailments like gas, bloating, acidity, and indigestion.
- Take a glass of water and add 6 to 7 leaves of basil (tulsi) and a ⅓ teaspoon of fennel seeds.
- Give a boil and drink it in the morning and evening as a herbal tea.
- You can continue it as long as you want.
Licorice (Mulethi) herbal drink
- Licorice is also one of very good herb for acidity.
- It soothes the digestive system due to a large number of glycosides in it.
- Take a glass of water and boil a small piece of licorice root into it.
- Boil it for five minutes and then drink it as a tea.
- Eat small meals at one time.
- Stop eating once your hunger is satisfied.
- Overeating will hamper your digestion more.
- Eat every meal at the same time of day.
- Sleep before or around 10 pm at night.
- Complete your sleep cycle (6 to 8 hours).
- Avoid stress which is not very easy in today’s fast life but at-least give it a try.
- Calm yourself with minimum 10 minutes of meditation.
- Don’t skip a meal ever.
- Avoid tea and coffee.
- Don’t drink aerated drinks.
- Avoid heavy, spicy, and deep-fried food.
- Avoid curd and other sour food substances.
- Drink cooling and soothing drinks like coconut water, mint water, aloe vera juice, and amla juice.
- Don’t eat anything from restaurants and hotel. Homemade fresh food is the best choice for you.
- Avoid acidic foods like peppers, onion, tur dal, peanut, curd, and nonvegetarian food.
Which yoga asanas are best to heal acidity?
- Kapal bhati
- Ardha matsyendrasana
Buy below given Ayurvedic products to get relief from acidity.
Aloe Vera Juice