The human body has five senses, each of them connect us to our surroundings. We are able to perceive the world with the help of our five sensory organs. Ear perceives sound, skin perceives touch, eye perceives sight, tongue perceives taste and nose perceives smell. The health of these organs is responsible for the accurate collection of information from the surroundings. Ayurveda has explained the methods to purify and cleanse these organs for the proper perceiving of the information from the external environment.
- Ayurveda suggests putting drops of herbal oil in ears (Karna Purana) to forestall ear infirmities.
- Karna Purana is an ancient method to restore the well-being of the ears.
- To improve the hearing capacity it should be performed once a week.
- Excessive exposure to sunlight every day could lead to various skin disorders.
Here are the few tips to maintain healthy skin.
- Sunscreen – To shield yourself from extreme exposure apply sunscreen every day 15 minutes before going out. Avoid the sunscreen with oxybenzone, as studies have shown it might cause hormonal imbalance.
- Toner – Avoid toner with alcohol. It will make your skin dry and damage its pH.
- Exfoliation – Exfoliate your face twice a week. Use homemade natural exfoliator like aloe vera gel mixed with brown sugar.
- Face pack – Use herbal face packs three times a week.
- Avoid – Avoid products containing harsh chemicals to protect your skin.
Here are the few ancient Ayurvedic methods to strengthen your eyes and prevent its disorders.
- According to Ayurveda, Pitta (heat energy of the body) governs the balance of the eyes. That is why it is always recommended to keep eyes away from heat.
- Improve the eyesight – Wash the eyes with Triphala water daily.
- Strengthen eye muscles – Perform eyes exercise or yoga for eyes.
- Protect the eyes from allergies – Apply collyrium (Sauvira Anjana) made of antimony every day.
- To shield the eyes from sensitivities – Apply collyrium made of Berberis aristata (Rasanjana) one time a week.
- Ayurveda suggests cleaning your tongue (Jivha Nirlekhana) with the scraper every day.
Here are the benefits to clean your tongue every day with the scraper.
- Cleaning your tongue with the scraper cleans bacteria and their food source.
- It enhances the sense of taste and removes the bad breath.
Ayurveda suggests different scrapers according to the body type.
- Pitta dominant person – Silver scraper
- Kapha dominant person – Copper scraper
- Ayurveda suggests administering drops of oil through the nasal route (Nasya).
Benefits of Nasya
Nose is the direct pathway to the brain. This is the reason that Nasya shows good influence on the disorders above the neck region.
- Cleanse and nourish the nasal route.
- Effective in reversing premature gray hairs.
- Beneficial for neck pain and stiffness.
How to perform it?
- Pour some water into a pan and warm the oil with double boiling method.
- Lie down on the bed.
- Tilt your head little backward.
- Put two drops of medicated oil first into one nostril keeping the other closed.
- Repeat the same for the other nostril.
- Massage your nose gently.
- Take rest for two minutes
- You can do it every day as a daily ritual.
- Avoid performing it on a cloudy or rainy day.
Ayurveda suggests different forms of oil according to body type for Nasya.
- Vata body type person – Sesame oil or Ghee.
- Pitta body type person– Brahmi ghee or Coconut oil.
- Kapha body type person – Vacha oil